Setting Up Network Monitoring with CloudRadar
February 23, 2020
With CloudRadar Network Monitoring, you can quickly start monitoring the availability of the services provided by ANY of your network devices with an IP address, like HTTP, IMAP, and SSH.
All you need to do is to add your network device in your CloudRadar dashboard and configure the network checks. In this way, you can check the availability of the network services at any time within the dashboard.
And it only takes a minute or two per network device to set up.
(We recommend that you also configure alerting. Any time a metric, for instance “IMAP check at port 143”, goes beyond a customizable threshold, you will receive a notification on your preferred alerts channel - e-mail, Slack, Telegram, Pushover, WhatsApp, SMS or Webhooks).
Start monitoring your network and network devices
Here is how to start monitor your network devices with in a few easy steps:
1. Log in to your CloudRadar account at https://my.cloudradar.io/auth
- Register a free account if not yet done.
2. Add a "frontman" to your intranet/network.
- Choose "Frontmen" on the left of the page, then "ADD FRONTMAN" on the right, and enter the description of the location / network where you want to install the frontman.
- Choose "INSTALL FRONTMAN" underneath your new network, select your operating system, and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the frontman.
3. Add your network device (for example, a Switch or a Router) to CloudRadar by creating a new host.
- Choose Hosts on the left and then ADD HOST on the right.
- Enter a FQDN or IP address for the network device, then a name and description - This can be ANY network device with an IP address.
- Choose Intranet-host behind firewall, select the frontman you configured in the previous step in the Location field), and save the new host.
4. Add a network check for the host.
- Choose Hosts on the left and then click on the settings “wheel”next to your chosen network device / host.
- On the page of your new host, choose the type of check that you want to add and configure it as needed.
- For example, add Ping and Web site checks:
5. View the network check results.
- While on the Settings page for your host, choose Latest data in the top right part of the page.
- You will see the results from the network checks that the selected frontman performed for your host:
6. View and add alerts.
- Common alerts like ping packet loss and ping round trip time are automatically pre-configured and switched on for your new host.
- You can add more alert rules, for example a rule related to some of the network checks for your host:
7. Configure notification recipients.
- Your profile e-mail address is set as the default recipient for any alerts.
- You can add additional recipients via the "Recipients" link on the left, and further choose who will receive what notifications through what delivery channel - e-mail, Slack, SMS, Telegram, Pushover, or Webhooks.
Make it happen
Start monitoring with CloudRadar today.
Set up in 5 minutes, and monitor your entire infrastructure - servers, networks, and Web sites. With guided setup and pre-configured checks, getting started with monitoring has never been simpler.
Free 15 day trial, no credit card needed, then choose one of our simple pricing plans.
Author: Rossen Karaivanov